It’s that time again! We were so proud of the finished product of this house. There was a LOT of work that went into this one to make it a great home for its new owners! If you missed the first three recaps, you can go and read them HERE, HERE, and HERE.
We purchased this house from a gentleman who was selling the house for his elderly sister-in-law. She had lived there for a number of years and recently gone to live at an assisted living facility. The house had been on the market for several months and finally had been put under contract with a buyer. Unfortunately, the home inspection had identified a structural issue and the buyer backed out. A friend of a friend suggested to the gentleman to give us a call and see if we would be interested. My business partner Steve, went to view the home and negotiated a reasonable price for both us and the seller. We were able to sign a contract and closed within two weeks.
This house was a solid dwelling with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It sits on a fantastic corner lot in a good neighborhood in the booming community of Hurricane. It was in pretty good shape, but had quite a lot of deferred maintenance. The first order of business was updating the exterior of the house. We placed the existing roof with a new metal roof. These roofs can typically last 40 years, so we love to add that value to our projects so that the new homeowner does not have worry about that extra expense down the road. We then replaced the existing siding with new vinyl siding to give the house a better look and better functionality. As you can see from the pictures, there were large bushes covering up the front of the house. We were able to take out the overgrowth which left a clean view of the house from the street.
The second phase of the rehab involved the structural work that was needed to repair the foundation. We dug a six foot deep trench around the side of the house all the way to the back corner. Steve and AGC Services really had their hands full with this part of it. Picture this: It’s the middle of December, zero degrees with the wind chill factor outside, and you are working in at least 6 inches of mud in a 6 foot deep ditch. One word: NIGHTMARE. This is the situation that Steve and Joe were working in. Fortunately, due to Steve’s knowledge and direction, they were able to place the battle drain with gravel and dirt to adequately flow the water away from the house. Inside, we had United Structural Systems install carbon fiber strips to help hold the wall up against the weight of the dirt on the house.
The last phase was the interior rehab. Here is a list of items that needed to be done before we could list the house:
- New cabinets and countertops.
- Tile flooring
- New backsplash
- New carpet
- New lighting throughout
- Painted the house
- Stained and painted the deck
This project took about 7 weeks to complete from start to finish. We probably had it priced a little high to start with, as we didn’t have many offers. As we brought the price down, we started to receive offers and finally closed on the house 3 months after it was initially listed.
Take a look at the rehab pics below!
Below is the first episode of our Youtube video series – “Flipping WV!”. We detail the start our flip in Winfield. Check it out!